Friday 8 April 2011

Historically Inspiring No 4 The Death of General Wolfe

The Death of General Wolfe, by Benjamin West, 1770
OK, its official, I'm getting back into my long abandoned French Indian Wars project. I've got a quite large collection already but they're not finished yet, and in all truth probably won't be for some time. I've just finished painting up the 30 15mm figures for the British 55th foot and it's really got my juices going, they've been sitting in a box undercoated for a year, I bought the undercoat at last years Salute that's how I remember!. I fancied a break from painting Posties damn Napoleonic Russians, they driving me crazy, green, green, green and some more dark green!!!!
Anyway I was searching the web for a decent FIW picture, and came across probably the most iconic painting for the period, The Death of General Wolfe, by Benjamin West. It's a beautiful painting with tons of uniform detail and as it's painted only 11 years after the death of Wolfe you'd hope that the men portrayed were dressed historically accurate for the period. Here's a link to learn a little more about the artist Benjamin West, Link
As well as trying to keep the Mrs and the kids happy, work, painting Posties figures, trying to paint my own figures, I'm also currently trying to make some Indian longhouses, I'm quite pleased with the results so far, of course when they're done I'll take a few pics and post them here on the blog. I'm also doing a little research into FIW skirmish rules, I've already bought a few sets and am not sure what to do, I guess it means I may have to write my own, groan!!! As if I'm not busy enough already???
Have a great weekend everyone!!!!!
Ray

29 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A painting I once had the pleasure to view. I don't remember if I saw it at the Canadian War Museum or at the National Art Gallery. Good luck with the project. We need to take inspiration were we find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats a great painting...its very emotional, you can see it on their faces..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the Indian longhouses! Have a great weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wolfe's house in Kent is quite interesting. According to family tradition, a Lambshead fought with Wolf at Quebeck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to this project ;-)

    And a nice weekend to you too!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that picture tells a thousand words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very interesting!
    followed!

    incredible-mo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to seeing the figs Ray. Keep the juices flowing.

    Actually that sounds quite bad....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I shall keep an eye on things here as I have just ordered my first unit of rangers to paint for my own FIW project.
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
  11. The death of Monsieur le Marquis de Montcalm was going on just outside this picture at the same time and was pretty emotional too.

    For Canadians this foundational event is still powerful stuff.

    When I went to visit this scene there were lots of people enjoying the park but one Scots-looking guy in a kilt stood out as if he were the only other one who understood where he was.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely picture and period. Currently reading Musket and Tomahawk by Francis Parkman. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

    Cheers
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice Ray, good picture and period.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Old war paintings are cool...i think with all the modern coverage we have of our warzones it's an art form we've lost

    ReplyDelete
  15. The French and Indian War is a fascinating part of history, and I have a pretty unique take on it myself. My mother is Mohawk from the Akwasanse reservation in northern New York, and the Iroquois Confederation played a significant part in this campaign.

    Very interested to see a Brit's take on the events...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome! Love it! keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great picture!!!

    RESPECT BRO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alright sweet can't wait for a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, thats pretty crazy :P

    New follower.

    You can check be back at

    Limitfears.blogspot.com
    +
    wordslol.blogspot.com

    if you'd like :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Best of luck with your project!

    Cheers

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds pretty good. Want to see it then!

    ReplyDelete
  22. dont the french just surrender two weeks into anything anyways?

    ReplyDelete