Tuesday 26 April 2011

Scratch built, Woodland Indian Longhouses FIW


I've been painting up my French Indian Wars figures for far too long now, Posties figures and all my other periods I'm painting keep interrupting the completion of the armies. I've defiantly got enough to do a game, but have yet to find any rules I'm really happy with. I've already bought far too many rule sets, so I been trying write my own, which are a semi-skirmish rule set, but more of that is for another day.
I've got quite a few American and British buildings for the period and decided I need a few Native American Longhouses for a raid on the Indian village scenario. Now this is where my problems started. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I could find only two manufacturers of Indian Longhouses, one Acheson , never answered my questions about dimensions, that I sent by email, so they were crossed off the list, next came the lovely buildings from Blue Moon's new FIW range, now I like these, but, they are so expensive $20 or £12.14 where I come from!!! for one unpainted building. Old Glory here in the UK carry the figures but will only order the building and not stock them, call me old fashioned but if I'm going to pay £12 for one 15mm building, I want to see it first....So the only thing to do was make my own!!
I found loads of pictures on the web and knocked these up in around 15 hours, I'll blow my own trumpet and say I'm really pleased with the finished articles, I plan to make some wikiups and a few more items to build up  the  Indian village. I'll  also be posting a step by step guide how to make them,  at a later date. They're really easy!!
I've included a few Freikorps Indians from QRF and some Essex Miniatures British for a  size comparison. Lastly just to keep Fran (The Angry Lurker), happy, I used his Greenstuff to make the curtains on the doors and the scalps, he said he'd moan if I didn't mention his contribution in the making of the buildings. It's like working with a child......................

Ray








33 comments:

  1. Blow away Ray, they are superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Dude,the scalps really tie the room together."

    Brilliant work!

    Curt

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fantastic Ray!!!

    Really well done. So when do you go into production and start selling them to joe public?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Ray but the doors and scalps complete them and I had to get paperwork signed for you to remove those twigs from site, it all adds up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are excellent work. I think kingsleypark poses a good question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look extremely flammable...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine work and really well finished off Ray.
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work. I've made 15mm ones in the past but they don't look anywhere as nice as those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, I actually thought these were the Conquest Miniatures buildings - then read they were scratch built! Impressive work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully painted, they look well detailed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having spent quite a bit of time in recent months scratchbuilding...buildings (that doesnt sound right, but moving on...) these are very impressive. Your detailing is superb, and totally bar-raising.

    I'm in the middile of doing a thatched roof Saxon church so now I have to take it to a whole new level - cheers for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent work Ray. They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that looks amazing! you must have put in alot of time for that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ray,

    They are really something! Excellent modelling skills- I'm taking of course about your Indian Longhouses in case there's any confusion ;O))

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You could check out the Imex figures for the 'Pilgrims' period ca. 1620; they include some buildings for the Wampanoags that are comparable in 1/72 plastic, and other accessories.

    These look even better of course since they are made with more natural materials by an enthusiast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really splendid Ray. They look every bit as good, and more, than anything you could have purchased. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow these are great mate .... very impressed with the effort, I also really like that period, its different from all the other over done periods, good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought they were teh Conquest longhouses as well. Great work!

    I have been furiously paint FIW figures for four months now and longhouses are on the list soon. Please know that there would be great interest in a short "how to" of how you made these.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I´ve worked out how you did the frames but the background stuff, what di you use for that???
    Bloody excellent btw.
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  20. nah beards dont itch my face at all. and as for your longhouses, didnt they have a more of a yellow look, i could be completely wrong. good job though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the look of these. As a fantasy gamer (I know, Boo Hiss) I don't get a lot of exposure to 15mm, and I'd initially assumed at first glance that these were 25 or 28mm. That's a sign of solid detail work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow great work...they have that authentic look and don't look scratch built at all (most scratch built stuff I attempted just looked like a Blue Peter demo gone wrong).

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look great! Don't listen to Bart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. awesome work, they look right, I don't know if its the mats you used or if its paint work but they look spot on.

    ReplyDelete